The aim of our English curriculum at Moseley Church of England Primary is to promote high standards of language and literacy by equipping every child with a strong command of the spoken and written word, and developing their love of literature through widespread reading for enjoyment.
The National Curriculum breaks English up into different strands –
- Spoken language and listening skills
- Reading – word reading and comprehension
- Writing - transcription (spelling and handwriting)
- - composition (articulating ideas and structuring them in speech and writing)
- Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar
Any information you need about English at Key Stages 1 and 2 can be found at:-
We aim for excellence in English achievement throughout the school. We aim to develop pupils’ abilities within an integrated programme of Speaking & Listening, Reading and Writing. Pupils will be given opportunities to develop their use, knowledge and understanding of spoken and written English within a broad and balanced curriculum, with opportunities to consolidate and reinforce the English skills they have been taught.
Pupils at Moseley C of E Primary School will leave Year 6:
- reading and writing with confidence, fluency and understanding;
- using a range of independent strategies to take responsibility for their own learning including self-monitoring and correcting their own errors;
- with a love of reading and a desire to read for enjoyment;
- with an interest in words and their meanings; developing a growing vocabulary in relation to grammatical terminology;
- understanding a range of text types, media types and genres;
- able to write in a variety of styles and forms appropriate to the situation;
- using their developing creativity, imagination, inventiveness and critical awareness;
- having a suitable technical vocabulary to respectfully articulate their responses in any discussion.