At Moseley CE we believe that English has a key place in education and in society. A high-quality education in English will teach pupils to speak, read and write fluently so that they can communicate their ideas and emotions to others and through their reading and listening, others can communicate with them.
The overarching aim for English at Moseley CE is to promote high standards of language and literacy by equipping pupils with a strong command of the spoken and written word, and to develop their love of literature through widespread reading for enjoyment.
The new National Curriculum breaks English up into different strands –
- Spoken language and listening skills
- Reading – word reading and comprehension
- Writing - transcription (spelling and handwriting)
- - composition (articulating ideas and structuring them in speech and writing)
- Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar
Any information you need about English at Key Stages 1 and 2 can be found at:-
We aim for excellence in English achievement throughout the school. We aim to develop pupils’ abilities within an integrated programme of Speaking & Listening, Reading and Writing. Pupils will be given opportunities to develop their use, knowledge and understanding of spoken and written English within a broad and balanced curriculum, with opportunities to consolidate and reinforce taught English skills.
Pupils at Moseley C of E Primary School will leave Year 6:
- reading and writing with confidence, fluency and understanding;
- using a range of independent strategies to take responsibility for their own learning including self-monitoring and correcting their own errors;
- with a love of reading and a desire to read for enjoyment;
- with an interest in words and their meanings; developing a growing vocabulary in relation to grammatical terminology;
- understanding a range of text types, media types and genres;
- able to write in a variety of styles and forms appropriate to the situation;
- using their developing creativity, imagination, inventiveness and critical awareness;
- having a suitable technical vocabulary to respectfully articulate their responses in any discussion.
Please click below for our school policy:
At Moseley C of E, we use the Oxford Nelson scheme of work to frame our curriculum. This includes Nelson Handwriting, Nelson Spelling and Nelson Grammar.
A consistent approach to teaching handwriting.
Nelson Handwriting provides all the resources to ensure a consistent whole-school approach to teaching handwriting form Reception to Year 6. It is fully matched to the latest UK curriculum and assessments to help the children meet higher expectations.
- Provides clear guidance on developing a whole-school handwriting policy as required by Ofsted.
- Develops children’s personal handwriting style to ensure they meet the ‘expected standard’ in the end of key stage writing teacher assessments.
- Introduces letters in line with Letters and Sounds and includes pattern practice and motor skills work with three levels of differentiation.
Please click on the below document to see how Nelson Handwriting works:
The essential course for success in spelling.
Nelson Spelling provides a whole-school programme for the teaching of spelling form Reception to Year 6. It is fully matched to the latest UK curriculum and assessments to help the children meet the higher expectations.
- Introduces spelling rules, structures and patterns in small steps, and in Reception is fully in line with Letters and Sounds
- Reduces workload with clear, one page lesson plans that provide answers to all the pupil materials to save time planning and speed up marking
- Offers three levels of differentiation with plenty of writing practice and a clear record of progress for every child
- In-built assessment and regular check-ups recap learning and monitor progress. Practice assessment tests help ensure children are meeting curriculum requirements
Master grammar skills and meet the higher expectations
Nelson Grammar enhances and embeds essential grammar skills for Years 1 to 6. It is fully matched to the latest UK curriculum to help your children meet the higher expectations.
- Reduces workload with clear, one page lesson plans that include child-friendly explanations to introduce grammar concepts, and answers for all the pupil materials to speed up marking
- Includes a grammar glossary for teachers to help you familiarise yourself with all of the terms in the curriculum
- Provides differentiated worksheets to offer extra support for struggling children and challenge and stretch for high-achievers – perfect for TAs or homework
- In-built assessment and regular check-ups recap learning and monitor progress. Practice papers help children prepare for the SATs
Please click on the below link for extra support on Nelson Handwriting, Spelling and Grammar.